Research shows that the most important thing you can do to help your child achieve at school is read with them. Little and often is the key!
There are three things that your child needs to learn to do:
- Decode words
- Understand what they have read
- Enjoy it!
At Cheam Fields Primary Academy we believe that reading with your child should be enjoyable for both you and your child. The more fun you have, the more likely you are to instil a love of reading. Encourage discussion with your child when reading with them. We want our pupils to enjoy reading and to read for pleasure! Please remember that 5 or 10 minutes reading each day will help your child to become a more proficient reader. Reading a familiar book is good for learning to read with fluency and expression.
How can I support my child at home?
- Children learn from the world around them and from seeing labels, notices and signs which are written in print. Encourage children to look for words they know all around them!
- Play ‘I Spy’ games. Can you find words beginnings with…? Can you find a picture of a…? How many … can you see?
- Schedule a regular time for reading - perhaps when they get home from school or just before bed.
- Encourage your child to read at home with you. If your child does not want to read try sharing the reading by taking it in turns.
- Go to the library regularly. Find the books you loved as a child to read together.
- Look for books on topics that you know your child is interested in - maybe dragons, insects, cookery or a certain sport.
- Ask questions about the story as you read it e.g. What is the story about? Why do you think they made that choice? Was it a good choice?
LEO Virtual Library
Visit the LEO Academy Trust Virtual Library and enjoy reading or listening to a story from the selection of Children’s books. There’s something for everyone from Nursery through to Year 6.