Maths and Financial Literacy
At Cheam Fields, our Mathematics Mastery curriculum has been developed to ensure every child can achieve excellence in mathematics. Children can experience a sense of awe and wonder as they solve a problem for the first time, discover different solutions and make links between different areas of mathematics. It provides pupils with a deep understanding of the subject through a concrete, pictorial and abstract approach. This ensures pupils fully understand what they are learning.
At Cheam Fields, we aim to develop in children:
- A positive attitude to mathematics as an interesting and valuable subject
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry, reasoning and problem solving
- The skill to independently and confidently use a variety of strategies, in a number of contexts
- A range of learning strategies: working both cooperatively, collaboratively and independently
- Confidence in mathematics where children can express ideas fluently and talk about the subject using mathematical language
- An understanding of the importance of mathematics in everyday life
At Cheam Fields we aim to foster an awareness of the crucial nature finance plays in everyday life. Our ambition is to create a culture where our children can understand and respect the value of money whilst making sensible financial choices.
Within our curriculum offer, we will bring our finance lessons to life within many subject areas by linking financial learning to real life contexts, adapting teaching to the ever-changing financial climate the children grow up in.
Learning will be delivered alongside our commitment to the LEO Pupil Outcomes by developing children’s financial literacy skills to become leaders and life-long learners. Furthermore, we want to equip children with the awareness that having and spending money is not the root of all happiness.
We want to prepare our children to have a brighter financial future with an informed mind-set towards finance, leading to fulfilled, happy and purposeful lives.